Pages

Monday 1 June 2015

My American Adventure: Getting around






"Would you like anything else mami?" the female waitress asked. "That'll be $7 senorita", the male cashier said. I really liked being called "mami and "senorita" yesterday when I ate at a latino deli across the road from the church.

 On Saturday I went to East Harlem which is also known as Spanish Harlem and when I arrived I started singing "Maria Maria, she reminds me of a Westside Story, growing up in Spanish Harlem, she's living a life just like a movie star", a song by Carlos Santana (it's from the late 90's).

There is a strong Latino presence of Puerto Ricans, as well a mixture of Mexicans, Italians, South East Asians and Caribbean's. At first I felt like I entered the hood because of the buildings, shops and the kind of people that were walking by. I wanted to see where I had been scheduled to work on my first day at the legal help center and learn my route.

The closer I got to the venue, I started to see men and women of all ages (mostly older people) selling scrap, old clothing, personal belongings and ornaments on the floor beside the road on a simple cloth. Clearly just trying to make some money for themselves. Men just standing on the side of the buildings like you see in the movies or hip hop videos not doing anything but killing time and watching people as they go by.

It was a different surrounding to what I have been used to here in Long Island where I am staying - in a quiet suburban area. Despite the difference in neighbourhoods most of the people were just as friendly and greeted me with a smile or nodding their head, then going about their own business. I had made my own away around certain parts of Manhattan earlier on in the day before going to Harlem and I felt comfortable walking around the streets and sightseeing. At no point did I feel afraid, apprehensive or desperate for someone to accompany me in case I got lost or incase something happened.

Before I left the apartment in the morning, I made a prayer of protection and asked God to guide me throughout the day. When your life is in God's hands, you don't fear. Wherever you go and whatever you do, you have confidence, you know He is right there beside you and no harm will come to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment