Pages

Tuesday 16 June 2015

My American Adventure: Manhattan Annual Board Reception




Last night, I went to an Annual Board Reception which was held by Gale Brewer who looks after Manhattan and overseas what goes on in the borough. The reception was held for her staff, all committee board members and certain people who work in the community to make Manhattan what it is, on a cultural, economic, educational, social and political level.

 It was an invitation only event and I was invited a few days before the event, to accompany Clarisse, who is the executive director of the organization I am currently working with the summer. I had never been to an event like this before so I was looking forward to it. I asked what the dress code was to make sure that I was dressed appropriately.

The event was held at the American Museum of Natural History opposite Central Park West. It was very nice inside. Catering staff and waiters were at hand to serve us with different refreshments and snacks. I don't even know the name of half the cheeses, nibbles other snacks that were served, but it was nice. I think snacks is a bit of a simple word to describe what we had lol. Gale had hired out the entire hall for the reception which was impressive. I was told by Clarisse that this was only something the Mayor or Governor would do, but because she has strong ties in the community she did it.

When I saw Gale, straight away I thought, "she seems so simple." She was dressed very simple and when talking to people, I could tell she was interested in them and what they had to say. Clarisse is on the committee board and introduced me to Gale.

When talking to her I sensed that she was down to earth and she was very encouraging about me making the most of my time here in New York. I got to network with a few people and I got a chance to know about some of the different organizations and services that operate in Manhattan, especially the ones that provide legal services.

i love opportunities like this because you never know who you will meet and the doors that can open from such an encounter.





1 comment: