Pages

Saturday 19 December 2020

My Journey To The Bar - Embracing The Journey

 


Finally, all my documents were submitted to the attorney admissions office by October 2017 after several hiccups and delays. I was notified in November that my character and fitness interview was scheduled for Wednesday January 17, 2018 and if approved by the committee, I would be sworn in on January 18!

 

It was all becoming real now, especially knowing that in a couple of months I would have finally achieved one of the goals on my dream board! I was not worried about not passing the interview as I didn’t believe they would have me, and my family fly out to New York from England if they had an issue with my application or if they didn’t think I was fit to become a lawyer!

 

At the time my application was submitted, I also started a new job as an Aviation Adjudicator. This role gave me insight into working on international law cases. I had to assess claims made against airlines and airports and write decisions and recommendations based on EU legislation and regulations as well as international treaties (when dealing with claims outside the EU). The great thing about this role was that it was remote. Although the head office was in London, we could work from home and create our own work schedule. I loved it because it meant I could volunteer and do other things outside of this and, I did not have to worry about getting up early in the morning and commuting to work! Also, we could work from anywhere in the world, and some of my colleagues did just that!

 

Things were now starting to fall into place just in time for January 2018. I did a lot of networking during this time too, attending legal networking events and talks in London and learning about the career journey of some successful lawyers, especially female and black lawyers.  Their stories were inspiring and encouraging, and I clearly saw that no one’s career path is the same. Although we can draw inspiration from others, we must also embrace our own journey and own it! Do not get anxious or even envious when you see others progressing to a certain level. What is for them is for them and what is for you will come, at the right time.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment