Pages

Tuesday 28 July 2020

My Journey To The New York Bar - Exam Results Day!




Before I sat the NYLE in June, I was waiting for the multi-state bar exam results that were going to be released on the last week of April.

 Leading up to results day, so many thoughts came to my mind trying to make me anxious. Doubts as to whether I had done enough this time round to pass. Thoughts of what would happen if I failed the exam again. Would I really be prepared to sit the exam for a third time?

I remembered a story someone posted on Facebook about an attorney in California who passed the California bar after 12 attempts! I remembered an article I read that listed some of the most prominent figures in American history, such as Michelle Obama, John F Kennedy, Hilary Clinton passing the bar after several attempts - so it wouldn't be all bad if I didn't pass second time round! I also remembered the conversation I had with a lady in Queens, New York, whilst waiting in line to be seated for the MPRE exam, and she shared with me that one of her friends had now qualified as an attorney after failing the bar exam 8 times!

But the voice of faith spoke louder and I remembered the peace I had on the last day of the exam in New York and that I had done everything I could have done and gave it my best!

26th April 2017 at 7:00am - I woke up and checked my Whats App messages. I saw a message from Samantha, who was my study partner, asking me if I checked my results! The message was sent to me just after 5:00am. As she was now living in New York, the message was sent just after midnight New York time, when the exam results had been released!

I quickly jumped out of my bed and checked my email! As a scrolled down, I suddenly stopped and started screaming! I woke the whole house up! My mum thought something had happened. I ran in her room to tell her I had passed. Then I broke down crying! Crying tears of joy! Crying because I had finally got my breakthrough. Crying because I had put all my faith, strength, time, effort and money into something and finally got the results I had been waiting for! Crying because I knew the next time I flew to New York would be to sworn in as US Lawyer! I quickly had to get my head together as I was starting work at 9.30am.

So I showered, got dressed, can't remember if I even had breakfast and then left for work! I was sooooo happy! I even shared it on my social media, but not before personally messaging certain family members and friends who had supported me throughout this journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment