Pages

Sunday 30 August 2015

My first week back at work.



Last week was my first week back at work after 3 months away! It felt strange being back in the building, especially because the reception part has been completely renovated.

 Being away from work for 3 months was a risk I took because I was told that there was no guarantee that there would be a job for me when I returned. However, I am not afraid to take risks and I believe in a God who will provide all my needs so I wasn't worried. In fact, two weeks before my return to the UK, I received an email informing me that there was a position available in another department. I was offered the role and it's a higher grade than my previous role and is a step up from what I had been doing for the past 18 months with the company.

Throughout my placement in New York, I had purposed inside me that there was no way I was going back to England  to the same routine, same working pattern and standard of living. I really had a work life balance that I had not really experienced before and loved having weekends off to chill, do fun things and not be running errands, catching up with the housework and laundry! Nah ah!

I decided that I was no longer going to work 6 days a week as I had been used to for nearly 2 years; working full time  Monday to Friday with my employer and spending Saturdays and sometimes Sundays, doing freelance work. I spoke to my new manager and asked if I could work 4 days a week and have Friday's off. They had no problems with this and said yes. I've also changed my working pattern, starting at 8.20am and finishing at 4.50pm.

It's only been a week but I really am happy I made this decision. It will not cause a detriment to my financial life but on the contrary allows me to develop the freelance work I do and I can dedicate Fridays to doing work for my clients and growing my business more as well as doing extra work in the evenings during the week. I can also make proper time to do the house work, so when it comes to the weekend, I can be more involved with the activities going on in my church, spend more time with family, visit friends and chill, really enjoying the weekend.

Last Friday I spent the morning doing housework and laundry  and in the afternoon I did a bit of studying and doing things related to my freelance work. It was good because at the weekend I didn't have to do any housework or laundry because it had all been done.


I am not all about living a life just to work, pay bills and die! I am going places, have goals I want to achieve and working towards having financial independence and a work life balance, but for that I have to make time for my project and it meant having to change my working pattern and reduce the hours I worked which in the future I will reap the benefits of.

No comments:

Post a Comment